Can I submit a report or a question anonymously?
Yes. To remain anonymous, make sure that you do not provide information that will directly or indirectly disclose your identity when filling out forms and when attaching documents.
Who has access to my identity if I disclose it?
Access to your identity is restricted to persons who are directly responsible for the processing of your report or question. These are the members of the Integrity Panel, the Integrity Officer, the Trusty AG expert and the Head of HR for any HR related reports or questions. Other persons, who are involved in the processing of your report or questions, will be able to access your identity only with your consent, which you can provide during the process of submitting a report or a question. Without your explicit consent, we will not disclose your identity to any other persons not mentioned above, except in cases where we are obliged to do so at the request of the competent authorities.
Can you track me through the IP address?
In order to ensure confidentiality and anonymity, we do not store IP addresses and time stamps.
Who is the application intended for?
The application is intended for the employees of our organization and also for the external public. The application is not intended for general questions about the functioning of our organization.
Who will process my report or question?
The initial triage of reports and questions is carried out by an expert from Trusty AG. Further processing of reports or questions is performed by the Integrity Officer and the Integrity Panel. If a report or a question relates exclusively to HR matters, such a report or a question will be forwarded to and processed by the Human Resources Department.
What if my report relates to the person responsible for its processing?
In this case, this person is excluded from the process. The Integrity Panel or the management assigns the report to another expert for processing.
What if my report concerns the management of the organization?
In this case, the report is forwarded to and processed by the governing body, i.e. the Board of Trustees.
How is the processing of a report conducted?
The processing of a report is performed in the following stages: - receipt, - initial triage, - processing, - investigation.
Can I follow the processing of my report or question?
Yes. You can follow the process by clicking on "I want to follow my report or question". The link will direct you to a communication portal where you can enter the username and password you receive when submitting the report or question. On the portal you can follow the processing of your report or questions and communicate securely with our investigators and experts.
Can I also communicate with you if I remain anonymous?
Yes. When submitting reports or questions, disclosed and anonymous whistleblowers are assigned user names and passwords. With them you can log in to the communication portal where you can follow the processing of your report or questions and communicate securely with our investigators and experts.
I was warned of retaliation. What is this all about?
Retaliation means that because of the (internal or external) reporting, the reporting person or whistleblower may experience (threats of) unjustified, negative consequences in the work-related context. Retaliation may be directed against the reporting person or whistleblower, the legal entity represented by the whistleblower or against the relatives of the whistleblower who are in employment with the organization or its contractual partner.
How am I protected against retaliation?
Whistleblowers reporting in good faith enjoy protection against retaliation. A whistleblower qualifies for protection provided he or she has reasonable grounds to believe that the information reported was true at the time of reporting. Your good faith is presumed unless and until proven otherwise.
How should I report retaliation?
You can report retaliation through the application. In your report you should make a reference to your previous report and indicate that you are now threatened with harmful treatment, or that you have already suffered damage.
Can I submit my report or question in any other way?
Yes. You can submit your report or question in the following ways: • per email to • per regular mail to Solidar Suisse, Quellenstrasse 31, 8005 Zürich, Schweiz